Church To Host Public Memorial Service For Caylee
January 30, 2009
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony may soon be asked if she knows who killed her daughter, Caylee, in a questionnaire from the attorneys representing Zenaida Gonzalez.
READ: Questionnaire To Casey Anthony
VIDEO: Anthony Hearing Part II Part III
PHOTOS: Casey Anthony In Court
Anthony, 22, remains jailed on first-degree murder charges in the death of her daughter, whose remains were found last month near the home she shared with her mother and grandparents.
Anthony has said that she left Caylee with a baby sitter at the Sawgrass Apartments in Orange County in mid-June, but they were gone when she returned to pick up her daughter. Anthony did not report Caylee missing until a month later.
A woman named Zenaida Gonzalez, who has the only known link to Sawgrass, has filed a civil defamation suit against Anthony, claiming she has been harmed by being linked to the case.
Earlier this month, a judge ordered that Anthony answer written questions from Gonzalez's attorney, Keith Mitnik, as a compromise after Anthony's attorneys refused to allow her to be deposed in person.
"We got a lot of things to ask -- some more important than others -- but we got lots of questions," Mitnik said after the Jan. 8 hearing.
The questionnaire contains numerous questions, including:
Do you know who killed Caylee? (Caylee's name is misspelled on the questionnaire)
Do you admit the story you told law enforcement that Caylee was with someone named Zenaida Gonzalez the last time you saw her is not true?
The questionnaire also asks Anthony about Gonzalez:
How many children did she have?
What were the children's names?
What kind of car did she drive?
Did she have any tattoos?
"We want the answers to those questions as fast as we can get them," said Mitnik. "This thing isn't about money. It's about this lady's reputation that's been trashed in the worst possible way."
Anthony can choose to take the 5th Amendment and not answer the questions, although Mitnik has argued that he does not think it applies.
Defense Searches Remains Site
Meanwhile, Anthony's defense team on Friday searched the wooded area where Caylee's remains were discovered. The search occurred just hours after the defense was granted permission to search the site by a judge in a court hearing.
Sources close to the case told Local 6 News that the search was the first of many that the defense team will make to the site.
The defense team did not answer any questions after searching the site.
Church To Host Memorial Service
Also on Friday, it was announced that the First Baptist Church Orlando will host a public memorial for Caylee.
The date and time for the service has not yet been announced.
Anthony, who has been ordered to attend court hearings in her case, appeared in the courtroom on Friday wearing a gray suit jacket with her hair pulled back in a bun. She did not speak at the hearing, although she was seen smiling and laughing with her attorneys before the hearing began.
Sunday, February 01, 2009
New born octuplets: A modern morality tale

Right: Two bedroom house where the Nadya, her parents and Nadya's older six children live.
It was a story that cheered recession-hit America: the survival of octuplets. But, as details emerge of the six children she already has, her unconventional circumstances, and 'obsession' with giving birth, serious questions are now being raised about fertility treatment.
By David Usborne in New York
Sunday, 1 February 2009
A lot of statistics came with the story of the young Californian mother who gave birth to a spectacular litter last week. The first was the number of babies involved: a magnificent eight. Seven was the number she had been told to expect. We learned early on that 46 doctors and nurses were on the delivery team – it made you wonder whether there was room for the father to witness the miracle (what father?)
By yesterday, we finally had the identity of the woman, Nadya Suleman, 33 (although ABC News was calling her Nadya Doud), along with a few other numbers. America no longer knew whether to praise this feat of fecundity – it is only the second time anyone in the US has borne eight babies, with every one surviving – or condemn it. These are times of parsimony, after all.
Estimated cost of diapers for eight over a calendar year? $7,000 (£4,800). Fathers present at birth or waiting at home? Zero. Reported income of mother? Possibly zero also. Then on Friday came the most disturbing figure of all: six. That is the number of children, aged two to seven, the woman already has – all through in vitro fertilization.
Angela, the children's grandmother, said her daughter had always been nuts about children and had sought fertility treatment because "her Fallopian tubes are plugged up". Things then went a bit out of control, she acknowleged. "Octuplets. Dear God! I wish she could have been a kindergarten teacher."
The question is how Nadya managed to have so many embryos implanted. Was it true, as some reported, that she worked in a fertility clinic?
For a few news cycles at least, the joy of the nation seemed unalloyed. Reality television is so contrived these days; real reality is always more gripping. And this is a show that could run and run. It is fair to assume that a producer somewhere is already trying to sign Nady Suleman up for a multi-year deal. We are not acquainted with these babies yet, but we will be. In all likelihood we will watch them grow up – if Nadya co-operates.
And there is money at stake. Ask Jon and Kate Gosselin, the parents of twins and sextuplets, who have their own show on the TLC Network, Jon and Kate Plus Eight. In return for publicity on the show, they get freebies all the time. Heavens, Kate has recently had a free tummy tuck.
The risk for Nadya, however, is that the country may already be changing its stance on her. She will be watched on TV only if her story remains a miracle, not a mistake, and America is split down the middle on this one.
With each passing press conference, the doctors at the Kaiser Permanente hospital in Bellflower who performed the deliveries become less puffed and more defensive. They wanted us to know that the mother had come to them after she had become pregnant. And yes, with eight fetuses she had undergone fertility treatment. And yes, they had suggested she selectively terminate at least some of them.
That Ms Suleman eschewed all such options means that, among those opposed to abortion, she will always have a constituency who considers her heroic. Having more babies is always more good. That, however, is definitely not the view being expressed this weekend by most fertility experts in the US.
Multiple births are "presented on TV shows as a 'Brady Bunch moment'," said Arthur Caplan, bioethics chairman at the University of Pennsylvania, referring to the Seventies TV series. "They're not." He and others in the fertility profession were yesterday worrying about a backlash thanks to the Suleman case that could lead to regulations governing the number of babies clinics could allow mothers to bear. Mr Caplan believes the physician who looked after Ms Suleman went far beyond the bounds of reasonable practice. "Anyone who transfers eight embryos should be arrested for malpractice," he said.
But back to the mother. She, it seems, has been divorced since January last year, though her former husband is not the father of the six children she already has. She recently finished her studies in, appropriately, child development, and lives with her mother, who is herself divorced and recently overcame personal bankruptcy. Her ex-husband works in Iraq and still supports the family.
When she sought treatment, in other words, Nadya was rich in offspring already but not in worldly goods. She and her family are not on welfare. However, the hospital bill for delivering and caring for the eight babies, born nine weeks prematurely and delivered by Caesarian section, could reach $1m. This is why insurance premiums keep going up for the rest of America. Babies born so early with so many siblings usually have continuing medical and psychological problems, which means more money.
Octuplets’ mother wants Oprah to turn her into a $2m TV star
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5627531.ece
John Harlow, Los Angeles
February 1, 2008
THE single mother of octuplets born in California last week is seeking $2m (£1.37m) from media interviews and commercial sponsorship to help pay the cost of raising the children.
Nadya Suleman, 33, plans a career as a television childcare expert after it emerged last week that she already had six children before giving birth on Monday. She now has 14 below the age of eight.
Although still confined to an LA hospital bed, she intends to talk to two influential television hosts this week — media mogul Oprah Winfrey, and Diane Sawyer, who presents Good Morning America.
Her family has told agents she needs cash from deals such as diaper sponsorship — the babies will go through 250 a week in the next few months — and the agents will gauge public reaction to her story.
Related Links:
Octuplets' mother may have had multiple IVF
Her earning power, though, could be diminished by a growing ethical and medical controversy. Experts believe that the unnamed fertility specialists who gave her in vitro fertilisation (IVF) should not have implanted so many embryos, and in choosing to carry all eight to term, Suleman ignored guidelines, risking both their health and her own.
US public reaction has been mixed: many have asked how an unemployed single mother can raise 14 children, as her first six have already strained the family budget. Angela and Ed Suleman, Nadya’s parents,bought her a two-bedroom bungalow in the suburb of Whittier in March 2007, but soon after got into debt and had to leave their own home.
They filed for bankruptcy and moved in with their daughter and grandchildren. Last week her father said he would return to his native Iraq to work as a translator and driver.
Angela Suleman, who is caring for the first six children — one of whom is autistic — while her daughter is in hospital, said yesterday that she had consulted a psychologist over Nadya’s “obsession with children”.
Nadya Suleman, who describes herself as a “professional student” living off education grants and parental money, broke up with her boyfriend before the birth of her first child seven years ago.
The identity of the octuplets’ father remains unknown, but local reports suggest they were conceived with frozen sperm donated by a friend she met while working at a fertility clinic. He is the father of her twins, born two years ago.
Michael Tucker of the Georgia Reproductive Clinic, Atlanta, said Suleman’s story stunned him. “We are policed by the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, which frowns upon implanting more than two or three embryos at a time. It is remarkable that any practitioner would undertake such a practice.”
The babies, born nine weeks prematurely by C-section, were attended to by 46 medical staff, who expected seven babies. When the eighth — a boy — appeared, doctors were “confounded”.
Angela Suleman said her daughter was advised to terminate some of the embryos in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy for the sake of her health, but she refused because she did not know how to make such a life-or-death decision.
“She doesn’t have any more, so it’s over now. It has to be,” said the grandmother.
Octuplets born: It's a boy... a boy... four more boys... and two girls

Babies doing well in delivery overseen by 50 doctors in California
By Guy Adams in Los Angeles
By Guy Adams in Los Angeles
Wednesday, 28 January 2009
Giving birth to seven babies in under five minutes was quite something, so imagine the mother's surprise when an unexpected eighth came along.
The eight babies were born in Los Angeles, California, early on Monday morning, becoming only the second live-born set of octuplets ever recorded in the USA.
"We were counting [umbilical] cords, and lo and behold, there was another one," said Dr Harold Henry, director of maternal and fetal medicine at the Kaiser Permanente Medical Centre. "It is quite easy to miss a baby when you're anticipating seven. Ultrasound doesn't show you everything."
Dr Henry recalled that after the first seven had been born, his colleague Alejandro Vasquez, suddenly interjected: "Wait a minute, I think I feel a hand."
The six boys and two girls all began crying spontaneously, which is a good sign that they are in a healthy condition.
"The babies are doing actually very, very well," Dr Mandhir Gupta, a neonatologist at the hospital, told the Good Morning America television show yesterday. "Their blood pressure is very good, their heartbeat is very good... They face many obstacles, weight is a concern, and [the smaller one] has a long way to go. The mother is really excited that she got all of these babies, and they're doing good so far."
The octuplets were delivered by a team of some 50 doctors working across four separate rooms, who had carried out drills and dry runs for weeks on end to make sure they were fully prepared.
Dr Gupta said he expected the babies, who were born nine weeks prematurely, to remain in incubators in the intensive care unit for up to two months.
The next 48 hours are crucial, he said, but the hospital is hopeful about their prospects of becoming the first-ever octuplets to survive into infancy.
"Only three babies need some sort of oxygen through the nose right now but they are breathing on their own," Dr Gupta said.
Earlier, the hospital revealed how the children, who are identified with the initials A to H depending on the order in which they arrived, were born by caesarean section within five minutes of each other. They weighed between 1lb 8oz and 3lb 4oz.
Despite an increase in multiple births due to fertility treatment, octuplets are extraordinarily rare, and photographs of the children and their mother are likely to command a fee of millions of dollars. The woman, who is understood to be local, is thought to have conceived as a result of fertility treatment.
The world's first live-born octuplets were born in March 1967 in Mexico City, but all died within 14 hours. In 1996, a British woman, Mandy Allwood, became pregnant with eight children, sparking a media bidding war for interview rights, but she later lost all of the babies prematurely.
Two years later, doctors in Houston, Texas announced that a local woman, Nkem Chukwu, had given birth to octuplets three months prematurely. Although the smallest died a week after the birth, its surviving siblings celebrated their 10th birthdays in December. Ms Chukwu told reporters yesterday that she was delighted to hear that another mother had managed the same feat as she had, calling it "truly a blessing". Ms Chukwu added: "We'll keep praying for them."
John the toilet laid to rest at Utah restaurant

The Associated Press
Centerville Police Dept., file
Centerville Police Dept., file
Right: In this Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2009 file photo released by the Centerville Police Dept. is a shattered toilet in the restroom a Carl's Jr. restaurant in Centerville, Utah. A toilet that was the victim of an accidental gunshot was remembered fondly during a memorial ceremony.
http://www.standard.net/
CENTERVILLE, Utah - John, a porcelain commode gunned down in an accidental shooting at a fast food restaurant's bathroom, has died. His age was not immediately known.
The toilet was shattered by a bullet Jan. 12 when a man's gun fell from its holster as he was pulling up his pants, police said. Police do not plan to file criminal charges in connection with the incident.
Christian Martinez, manager of the Carl's Jr. where John was gunned down, held a memorial service Friday at the restaurant. He gave away bottles of John's favorite toilet cleaner, Kaboom Bowl Blaster, to the eatery's first 50 patrons.
A Bountiful flower shop provided a large floral arrangement.
"In all my years, I can say without a doubt that I have never delivered for a toilet," said deliveryman Doug Graham, "but I thought it was the funniest thing I've ever heard. I got a kick out of it."
Remnants of John hit and cut the gun owner's arm, but he was not seriously injured.
Police blamed John's death on the gun and style of holster the man was using.
"He was survived by the men's urinal and wash sink," said Martinez. "He left us way too soon."
Body Found South of Winfield Kansas Identified
Reporter: KAKE NewsEmail Address: news@kake.com
The Cowley County Sheriff''s Department is asking for help from the public after a body was found just south of the town of Winfield. The victim has been identified as 42 year-old Beatriz "Betty" Halverstadt, of Winfield.
A railroad crew found the woman's body near a set of tracks around 7 o'clock Saturday morning. The body was found near the bottom of a bridge.
Officials at the scene tell KAKE News they found Halverstadt's broken down vehicle about 1/2 mile south of where her body was found and it appears that the woman walked to the bridge.
The sheriff's department is asking anyone who might have seen a woman walking in the area along Highway 77, about a mile south of Winfield to call them. That number is 620-221-5444.
Authorities do not yet know the cause of death, but do say she fell from the bridge. They will not speculate as to what caused the woman to fall.
The Cowley County Sheriff''s Department is asking for help from the public after a body was found just south of the town of Winfield. The victim has been identified as 42 year-old Beatriz "Betty" Halverstadt, of Winfield.
A railroad crew found the woman's body near a set of tracks around 7 o'clock Saturday morning. The body was found near the bottom of a bridge.
Officials at the scene tell KAKE News they found Halverstadt's broken down vehicle about 1/2 mile south of where her body was found and it appears that the woman walked to the bridge.
The sheriff's department is asking anyone who might have seen a woman walking in the area along Highway 77, about a mile south of Winfield to call them. That number is 620-221-5444.
Authorities do not yet know the cause of death, but do say she fell from the bridge. They will not speculate as to what caused the woman to fall.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)